Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/2445/108170
Title: Phase II study of preoperative bevacizumab, capecitabine and radiotherapy for resectable locally-advanced rectal cancer
Author: García, Margarita
Martínez Villacampa, Mercedes
Santos, Cristina
Navarro-Pérez, Valentin
Teulé-Vega, Àlex
Losa Gaspà, Ferran
Pisa, Aleydis
Cambray i Amenós, Maria
Soler, Gemma
Lema, Laura
Kreisler, Esther
Figueras i Amat, Agnès
San Juan, Xavier
Viñals Canals, Francesc
Biondo, Sebastián
Salazar Soler, Ramón
Keywords: Anticossos monoclonals
Radioteràpia
Quimioteràpia del càncer
Càncer colorectal
Malalts de càncer
Monoclonal antibodies
Radiotherapy
Cancer chemotherapy
Colorectal cancer
Cancer patients
Issue Date: 26-Feb-2015
Publisher: BioMed Central
Abstract: Background: to evaluate whether the addition of bevacizumab (BVZ) to capecitabine-based chemoradiotherapy in the preoperative treatment of locally advanced rectal cancer (LARC) improves efficacy measured by the pathological complete response (pCR) rate. Methods: a phase II two-step design was performed. Patients received four cycles of therapy consisting of: BVZ 10 mg/kg in first infusion on day 1 and 5 mg/kg on days 15, 29, 43, capecitabine 1800 mg/m2/day 5 days per week during radiotherapy, which consisted of external-beam irradiation (45 Gy in 1.8 Gy dose per session over 5 sessions/week for 5 weeks). Six to eight weeks after completion of all therapies surgery was undergone. To profile the biological behaviour during BVZ treatment we measured molecular biomarkers before treatment, during BVZ monotherapy, and during and after combination therapy. Microvessel density (MVD) was measured after surgery. Results: forty-three patients were assessed and 41 were included in the study. Three patients achieved a pathological complete response (3/40: 7.5%) and 27 (67.5%) had a pathological partial response, (overall pathological response rate of 75%). A further 8 patients (20%) had stable disease, giving a disease control rate of 95%. Downstaging occurred in 31 (31/40: 77.5%) of the patients evaluated. This treatment resulted in an actuarial 4-year disease-free and overall survival of 85.4 and 92.7% respectively. BVZ with chemoradiotherapy showed acceptable toxicity. No correlations were observed between biomarker results and efficacy variables. Conclusion: BVZ with capecitabine and radiotherapy seem safe and active and produce promising survival results in LARC.
Note: Reproducció del document publicat a: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-015-1052-0
It is part of: BMC Cancer, 2015, vol. 15, p. 59
Related resource: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-015-1052-0
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/2445/108170
ISSN: 1471-2407
Appears in Collections:Articles publicats en revistes (Institut d'lnvestigació Biomèdica de Bellvitge (IDIBELL))
Articles publicats en revistes (Ciències Clíniques)
Articles publicats en revistes (Ciències Fisiològiques)

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
653967.pdf641.77 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


This item is licensed under a Creative Commons License Creative Commons