Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/2445/177851
Title: Extracapillary proliferation scoring correlates with renal outcome and contributes to stratification in adult patients with immunoglobulin A nephropathy
Author: Moreno, Jhonny L.
Rodas, Lida M.
Draibe, Juliana
Fulladosa, Xavier
Gomà, Montse
Garcia Herrera, Adriana
Cruzado, Josep Ma.
Quintana, Luis F.
Torras Ambròs, Joan
Keywords: Malalties del ronyó
Supervivència
Pronòstic mèdic
Marcadors bioquímics
Kidney diseases
Survival
Prognosis
Biochemical markers
Issue Date: 9-Nov-2020
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Abstract: Background. The revised Oxford classification of diagnostic renal biopsies has been proposed to aid in the prediction of renal outcome. We aimed to validate the histological crescents and interstitial fibrosis and tubular atrophy (IFTA) subgrouping, and to investigate the additional value of the proportion of crescents (CatPE) in the prediction of renal outcome. Methods. Data were retrospectively collected over 10 years, from the time of diagnosis, by systematic review of medical records from 90 patients with renal biopsies recruited to cohorts from two hospitals in Spain. Patients were classified into three groups for the analysis: CatPE >25% (C2), CatPE <25% (C1) and without this type of lesion (C0). The end point was renal survival defined by either >50% reduction in glomerular filtrate rate or end-stage renal disease. Results. Renal survival at 5 years was 90% in group C0, 81% in group C1 and 31% in group C2 (P 1⁄4 0.013). The presence of >25% crescents in the sample was associated with more severe disease when compared with <25%, as demonstrated by more interstitial fibrotic change and by lower estimated glomerular filtration rate at diagnosis, as well as worse renal function at 2 and 5 years. At the time of diagnosis and at 24 months, the group with IFTA >50% had poorer renal function compared with the other groups. Conclusions. We have confirmed the predictive value for renal survival of the revised Oxford classification in a two-centre study. We found worse renal outcome in patients with severe tubulointerstitial fibrosis and atrophy. Patients with extracapillary lesions >25% and IFTA >50% had a worse renal prognosis due to more severe kidney injury. These results contribute to patient stratification in immunoglobulin A nephropathy for therapeutic, epidemiological and basic research.
Note: Reproducció del document publicat a: https://doi.org/10.1093/ckj/sfz133
It is part of: Clinical Kidney Journal, 2020, vol. 14, num. 1, p. 284-290
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/2445/177851
Related resource: https://doi.org/10.1093/ckj/sfz133
ISSN: 2048-8505
Appears in Collections:Articles publicats en revistes (Institut d'lnvestigació Biomèdica de Bellvitge (IDIBELL))
Articles publicats en revistes (IDIBAPS: Institut d'investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer)
Articles publicats en revistes (Ciències Clíniques)

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
710470.pdf510.86 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


This item is licensed under a Creative Commons License Creative Commons