Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Fruit and Vegetable Consumption and Sarcopenia among Older Adults in Low- and Middle-Income Countries
Author: Koyanagi, Ai
Veronese, Nicola
Solmi, Marco
Hans, Oh
Shin, Jae Il
Jacob, Louis
Yang, Lin
Haro Abad, Josep Maria
Smith, Lee
Keywords: Fruita
Persones grans
Older people
Issue Date: 6-Mar-2020
Publisher: MDPI
Abstract: Fruit and vegetable consumption may protect against sarcopenia but there are no studies on this topic from low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). Thus, we assessed this association among older adults from six LMICs. Community-based cross-sectional data of the Study on Global Aging and Adult Health were analyzed. Sarcopenia was defined as the presence of low skeletal muscle mass based on indirect population formula, and either slow gait or low handgrip strength. Quintiles of vegetable and fruit consumption were created based on the number of servings consumed on a typical day. Multivariable logistic regression analysis was conducted. The sample consisted of 14,585 individuals aged ≥65 years (mean (SD) age 72.6 (11.4) years; 55% females). Adjusted analyses showed that overall, compared to the lowest quintile (Q1), the highest quintile (Q5) of fruit consumption was associated with a 40% lower odds for sarcopenia (OR = 0.60; 95% CI = 0.42-0.84) but this association was largely driven by the strong association among females (e.g., Q5 vs. Q1 OR = 0.42; 95% CI = 0.24-0.73), with no significant associations found among males. Vegetable consumption was not significantly associated with sarcopenia. Future studies of longitudinal design may shed light on whether increasing fruit consumption among older females in LMICs may reduce risk for sarcopenia.
Note: Reproducció del document publicat a:
It is part of: Nutrients, 2020, vol. 12, num. 3, p. 706
Related resource:
ISSN: 2072-6643
Appears in Collections:Articles publicats en revistes (Medicina)

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
709202.pdf605.76 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

This item is licensed under a Creative Commons License Creative Commons