Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Leukocyte-99mTc uptake in Crohn's disease: does it show subclinical disease?
Author: Mota, Luciene G.
Coelho, Luiz G.
Simal, Carlos J.R.
Ferrari, Maria L.A.
Toledo, Clodomiro
Martín-Comín, Josep
Diniz, Simone O.F.
Cardoso, Valbert N.
Keywords: Malaltia de Crohn
Crohn's disease
Issue Date: 2010
Publisher: Baishideng Publishing Group Inc
Abstract: Aim: To evaluate inflammatory activity in patients with Crohn's disease (CD) using technetium-99m-hexamethylpropyleneamine oxime (99mTc-HMPAO) granulocyte scintigraphy. Methods: Twenty patients (7 male and 13 female) with CD and five healthy volunteers were selected for 99mTc-HMPAO granulocyte scintigraphy. The Crohn's Disease Activity Index (CDAI), blood tests and C-reactive protein (CRP) of each patient were performed 7 d before the scintigraphic images. The leukocytes were labeled according to the International Society of Radiolabeled Blood Elements (ISORBE) consensus protocol and the scintigraphic images, including single photon emission computed tomography, were obtained 30 min and 2 h after injection of the radiolabeled leukocytes. Results: The labeling yield of the leukocytes with the lipophilic complex 99mTc-HMPAO was 55.0% +/- 10%. Six of the 20 patients (30%) presented congruent results for the three parameters investigated (CDAI, Scintigraphic Index and CRP). On the other hand, 14 patients (70%) did not show congruent results. There was no significant correlation between the indices analyzed according to the Spearman test (P > 0.05, n = 20). Conclusion: The results suggest that 99mTc-HMPAO-labeled leukocyte scintigraphy could be important for determining inflammatory activity in CD even in the absence of clinical symptoms.
Note: Reproducció del document publicat a:
It is part of: World Journal of Gastroenterology, 2010, vol. 16, num. 3, p. 365-371
Related resource:
ISSN: 1007-9327
Appears in Collections:Articles publicats en revistes (Ciències Clíniques)

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
619839.pdf1.2 MBAdobe PDFView/Open

This item is licensed under a Creative Commons License Creative Commons