Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Full metadata record
DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorGuerra, Cristóbal-
dc.contributor.authorPereda Beltran, Noemí-
dc.description.abstractSecondary traumatic stress is a kind of job stress that affects professionals dedicated to help victims of traumatic events. This disorder is common in those professionals who work with victims of violence, and especially in those who work with children and adolescents, although there are few studies about it. The aim of this study was to compare the secondary traumatic stress levels between psychologists who work in centers for victims of child maltreatment and sexual abuse and psychologists who work in other contexts. Method: The sample consisted of 259 professionals (M= 33.3 years, SD= 8.0 years), 190 women and 69 men. 56.4% worked in specialized centers for victims of child maltreatment and sexual abuse, while the other 43.6% worked with other kinds of patients. All respondents answered the Secondary Traumatic Stress Scale (Bride, Robinson, Yegidis y Figley, 2004). Results: Psychologists who treat victims of child maltreatment and sexual abuse had significantly higher levels of all secondary traumatic stress symptoms. In addition, psychologists working with child trauma exceed the cutoff point more frequently than psychologists working in other contexts. Conclusion: Given the serious implications that these results may have for therapists and their patients, it is necessary to create strategies for care and self-care for psychologists who work with child victims. More research is required in this area to clarify the course of the disorder, and the most appropriate strategies to cope with it.-
dc.format.extent12 p.-
dc.publisherUniversitat de Barcelona-
dc.relation.isformatofReproducció del document publicat a:
dc.relation.ispartofAnuario de Psicología, 2015, vol. 45, num. 2, p. 177-188-
dc.rights(c) Universitat de Barcelona, 2015-
dc.subject.classificationEstrès laboral-
dc.subject.classificationAssistència psiquiàtrica-
dc.subject.classificationInfants maltractats-
dc.subject.otherJob stress-
dc.subject.otherMental health services-
dc.subject.otherAbused children-
dc.titleEstrés traumático secundario en psicólogos que atienden a niños y niñas víctimas de malos tratos y abuso sexual: un estudio exploratorio-
Appears in Collections:Articles publicats en revistes (Psicologia Clínica i Psicobiologia)

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
653444.pdf202.48 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.